samedi, janvier 13
posted by Gina at 11:49

I can go outside right now without a damn scarf and that's just not normal.
This is January in Paris and I'm freaking out that I can walk outside for an hour without the cold making the insides of my ears hurt. Or my nose run. Or my knees shiver. That's what Parisian winters are supposed to be about. So why did I see a girl out last night wearing sandals???
A few months ago, the weather was cold enough to cover the ground in frost at my in-laws' in the countryside and to kill a few unfortunate homeless people in Paris. The forecast for today, however, is 11°C (52°F). Quoi? One site states the average temperature for Paris in January as 3°C (39°F).
Everyone I talk to says the same thing: This is really great, but does it mean we're doomed?
Is this freaky heat really because of us selfish humans with our cars and smoke spitting factories? Surely this has happened in history before. On a taxi ride home once, the driver said he'd been told by an elderly passenger that after the turn of the century, it'd gotten so hot in Paris that the Seine had dried up to the point that you could wade across it in certain areas. However, I can't verify this story and the cabbie's historian credentials weren't hanging next to his taxi license.
But while I couldn't find any information on this story, I did stumble across this article which tells of a similar account that happened in Paris back in pre-automobile 1540.
Then I found this bit from a 1975 Newsweek article that scared readers about global cooling. Are you confused yet?
When I go home to Southern California, what always gets me is how many people are driving their huge trucks and suvs everywhere. Unless you're in construction or you help friends move houses every weekend, why the hell are you driving that? My stomach always turns as I see the brown haze hang over the mountains from the 210 freeway. Hhmm, that's the sweet air your kids are breathing.
I love Paris, the city that lets me go everywhere without having a car at all. But that's not to say we've got it better here. The périphérique that circles Paris is always congested and I can't go for a run along the Seine (which, in our neighborhood, runs alongside a busy highway) without feeling like I've smoked half a pack. There are reports that predict a future rise in deaths caused by air pollution in European cities.
Let's bring back the horse and buggy already!
There are those who think the issue of our affect on the climate change has been blown out of proportion and that climate change shouldn't be exploited and used to scare people. That's nice in theory, but can you explain the sandal clad pedestrian last night?
Fortunately, the temperature looks it will be dropping a bit in the next few days. And hopefully soon, we will have the reassurance of a real Parisian winter. We'll be happy to be miserably cold.
 
6 Comments:


At 1/17/2007 7:18 AM, Blogger Gina

Gee, Randy, you must make your right wing colleagues so proud with your totally realistic solutions! Muslim warming? I didn't realise that they are the ones responsible for this harmful weather phenomena. All this time, I've been thinking it had something to do with the overabundance of vehicles emitting pollutants that gather in the atmosphere, trap heat and cause temperatures to rise. Silly me.

 

At 1/19/2007 1:51 AM, Blogger Jenne

Hahaha, Muslim Warming. Sounds like a French hip hop group! Sort of like ... Randy Right Wing sounds like a horny conservative country singer.

Anyhoo, I was thinking the exact same stuff about global warming the other week when it was a whopping 70 degrees in NY! In January! I thought it was a sign of the end of the world and spent the day panicking about the ice caps melting and flooding all of the world.

 

At 1/23/2007 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonyme

The present warming trend is just the begining of a phenominum that is going to peak in the years 2011-2015. It actually began with the recent devastating sunami. We will see the bottom of the oceans boiling, melting of the ice caps, more sunamis and earthquakes. It is causes by solar caused changes in the earths magnetic field. The last occurance was in the '50s and was relatively mild. The last was around 400 years ago and was very powerful. It is expected that this one will be as powerful if not more than the one 400 years ago. Each one of these is identified by number and the current one is number 24. The changes could affect the U.S.'s ability to grow crops and some people have already started constucting green houses in order to grow their own food. It will be the end of the world for some but not for all. Those that prepare will be the survivors. The muslim menace is nothing compared to this event.

Randy RW

 

At 1/24/2007 8:40 PM, Blogger Gina

How is it that my blog only has like 10 readers and yet I have a heckler?